Prominent Ear Surgery
Prominent Ear surgery – also known as otoplasty – can improve the shape, position and projection of the ear. It can correct a defect in the ear structure that is present from birth, or it can treat misshapen ears caused by injury.
Children who are good candidates for ear surgery are:
- Healthy, without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections
- Generally 6-7 years old, or when a child’s ear cartilage is stable enough for correction
- Cooperative and follow instructions well
- Able to communicate their feelings and do not voice objections when surgery is discussed
Teenagers and adults who are good candidates for ear surgery are:
- Healthy people who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- People with a positive outlook, specific goals in mind and realistic expectations
Prominent ear surgery is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulﬁll someone else’s desires or to try to ﬁt any sort of ideal image.